Sunday, June 23, 2013

June 24 2013

Last week was hectic! On thursday morning we received a call from the ward mission leader of a neighboring ward, Camp Hill, informing us that we had an appointment at 7:00 PM the following night at his place with the girl that came to church last week (I mentioned in my last email). That evening, however, we discovered that we had lost our phone. Which searched everywhere and even called the City Council to check the procedure for locating items lost on public transportation. Finally, I called the member's whose house we had eaten at that night, and after a fervent prayer in my heart, waiting while they looked around, I was relieved to hear: "Is it a black Nokia?" Whew.

The member brought it by the chapel on his way to work the next day (I made good use of those thank you notes you gave me mom!). We then had to figure out a ride and a male fellowship we had to the appointment that night. It took a lot of phone calls, but I finally found a member without plans who could take us.

It turned out to be quite the lesson, well over an hour. Why so long, you might ask? Because, after we, feeling prompted, extended the commitment to be baptized, she said yes! Not only that, but she set a baptismal date with us for just over one week -- the 30th! Recognizing it would be a challenge because of the shortness of time, we decided to go through with her the requirements for baptism then and there. She had concerns with none of them. I think she must have decided in her heart that she wanted to be baptized even before she met us, which is truly a miracle.

So ultimately everything worked out well. Remember last month how I said the mission's goal is 100 baptisms in June? I said at that point, I can't speak for any one else, but at least *I* can baptize in June. I've never taken that promise I made to our Mission President, who leaves next week, back, though at times it seemed impossible. And now I know why!

We met with her again after church on Sunday, and taught her the plan of salvation and the gospel of Jesus Christ in one lesson. We learned what her only concern might be: She needs to quit smoking in seven days! It will take a miracle to do so, but it took a miracle to get this far any way so how can I say I don't expect even more? Haha. It turns out that the member who was with us in that lesson *also* quit smoking before they were baptized about three years ago (they just returned from a mission in Japan!). Another miracle? Absolutely.

Tonight we will start the 15 step Quit smoking program we have. I've used it in the past, as I'm sure I've mentioned, with success. Wish us luck, haha.

On Saturday the whole zone was invited (slash commanded by President, haha) to be ushers for a performance by a visiting choir from BYU Hawaii. It was at the Brisbane City Hall. We didn't stay for the performance of course, but it was interesting experience nonetheless, we got to hear a little bit as the choir practiced beforehand.

The investigators are good, the members are good, the work is good, God is good. It is good to be a missionary!

保重

Elder J. Colton Ladd

1 comment:

  1. Awesome story! I love hearing these sorts of stories where so many things come together! He's so wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete