Saturday, June 14, 2014

June 12 2014

This week has probably been one of my longer weeks! While I have had longer periods between emails before, that was while I was in Chermside, and there were always reasons, tasks, meetings, etc that we were doing to break up the schedule so it didn't feel as long. :D

Beginning with last P-day, we tried to do something productive an worthwhile with our P-day by visiting the museum, but we had a lesson scheduled so ultimately time didn't allow for it. So sowwy no pictures of that:P In the evening we went a-GQing!!

On Tuesday, we had English Class as usual, and once more I have been tasked to run it. For a bit of insight if you might not know, at this time last year I was in the same area and had the same responsibility! After arriving in February 2013, it was only a few weeks before I was given the assignment to run English class every tuesday, which I continued to do until I left River Terrace about Sep/Oct last year. In all honesty, I think that experience was one of the biggest growing experiences for me. Looking back, it was at English class that I learned skills such as teaching for understand, planning and preparation, and leading groups to accomplish a task. I thoroughly enjoyed it, too -- I think I would love nothing more in life than to be a teacher!

On Wednesday I was in Sunnybank!! The Chinese Training Leaders came on trade-offs with us, with my companion staying in the area. While on trade-offs, my companion taught to one solid potential investigator that we found through tracting the week before! The lesson went well, they said. After I returned on Thursday, we taught her again, and the Spirit was present. We are still waiting for our next appointment with her, however.

The rest of the week was fairly normal. Come Sunday, unfortunately, all of our investigators failed to show up at church! That was disappointing, but it didn't faze us.

Monday morning was the most exciting event of the week. I was invited to the office in Sunnybank to a meeting held by the part-time office couple, who are now looking at ways to improve the Chinese program. They were meeting with the Chinese Training Leaders there and requested me to be there as well. Soon, there will be a full-time senior couple coming who will be able to help. We discussed all of our options, such as new offices in Sunnybank, an office or teaching location in the City, university student associations and activities, and a branch. After gathering information, we received our assignments, now being worked on by the Chinese Training Leaders, of compiling a list of all the Chinese-speaking members in the Brisbane area. Afterwards we showed the couple around Sunnybank and some potential locations for offices or even branches.

There are two miracles I would like to share from the past week. The first came last week on Thursday. After teaching the investigator we tracted into, we received a text from a member saying: "Will you be on campus today? I have a friend who wants a book of mormon!" We immediately adjusted our plans and traveled there to meet her friend. She is interested in coming to church this week! (She could come last week because of studies).

This week on Monday, after a long, long day of finding and no lessons, we received a call from one of our investigators, who sounded desperate. After learning about her situation, we told her we would call her back as soon as we arrived home for dinner. She is having a very difficult time at the moment because of exams, assignments, and distance from her family, among other trials. The call turned into an entire lesson over the phone, as we shared the principles of the gospel we felt she needed to hear the most. We met with her the day after as well.

This morning we went to the temple (a few pictures to follow!) and hopefully afterwards we will check out a hill near the city called Mount Coot-tha, where we plan on taking pictures and perhaps hiking a little bit. I guess you will just have to wait until next week for that. Have a great day!

Elder J. Colton Ladd




No comments:

Post a Comment