The first was on Thursday, while Elder Lee and I were GQ-ing (I don't remember if I've mentioned this before, but "GQ-ing" means "contacting," it stands for the "golden question," though I don't know which question that specifically refers to) at the bus stop in Sunnybank. Sunnybank is the Asian neighborhood in Brisbane, I forgot if I've mentioned that. Anyways, as we were GQ-ing, a few Australian police officers came up and asked if we Mormons. To which we replied yes, of course, haha. There were at that time 6 of the 8 Mandarin elders of Eight Mile Plains ward at the bus stop--the other two were just opposite us at the other bus stop, incidentally. What followed was--to put it one way--my first "run in with the law"! Haha, not really. Here's how it happened, from a little report of the incident I was asked to write and send to President Langeland:
On Thursday, 2012-11-29, around 3:30 P.M., at the east side of the Sunnybank Plaza bus stop on Mains Road, Elder Eld, Elder Eld, Elder Eld, Elder Eld, Elder Eld and I received a warning from police officers.
We were standing at the bus stop. Elder Eld, Elder Eld, Elder Eld and I were standing together and Elder Eld and Elder Eld standing slightly further away. Elder Eld and Eld were waiting for the bus to go to a teaching appointment, and Elder Eld, Elder Eld, Elder Eld and I were contacting at the bus stop. I was talking with Elder Eld and Eld. Elder Eld was on the phone.
Three police officers approached us. They asked us if we were the Mormons (to which we replied yes) and then informed us that they have received calls recently of people reporting that they had been harassed by missionaries. They asked to look at our IDs, and asked for our names, contact numbers, addresses, and dates of birth, which they recorded on a notepad. They saw Elder Eld and Elder Eld upon arrival, but first took our information before going over and getting theirs. After taking our information, they lectured us on immediately leaving people alone who do not want to be talked to. Some people waiting for the bus do not want to talk, and for this reason, said the police officers, bus stops are not the place to be going about missionary work. The police officers included in their description: some people had told missionaries they did not want to talk, but missionaries continued to talk to them. The manner of the police officers was stern but friendly. After the police officers departed, Elder Eld and Elder Eld caught the bus, while the rest of us waited a few minutes for Elder Eld to try to contact the APs. We then decided to leave the bus stop for the time being.(editor's note: names have been removed to protect the innocent ;-) )
So I guess this means we will be staying away from bus stops for the time being, at least Sunnybank. Elder Lee is more upset about it than I--I see it as an opportunity (slash sign from the Lord) to try new finding methods. Ever since getting to Brisbane all Elder Lee has wanted to do for finding is bus stop, bus stop, bus stop.
Out of curiousity, if anybody else out there had meetings with the police while serving as a missionary, send them! I'd be interested to know what happened and what you did in response.
The other story from the week was that I had my first bicycle accident! It actually wasn't that bad... but I did ruin a pair of suit pants. Whoops. Elder Lee and I decided to bike to our appointments we had on Saturday. On the way back, it was darkish, and to avoid major hills we decided to take a slightly longer route which put us on a two-lane road with very wide gravel shoulders. However, at the time I did not realize it was a two lane road, thinking in the dark that the gravel shoulder was a third lane, and as I was turning, I went on the gravel shoulder at a sharp angle, and my back tire slid out from under me. This meant I fell to the right and used my right knee to come to a halt. The bike was fine, after getting the chain back onto the gears, and I was fine, save my knee (which is pretty scratched up)--and my slacks :P
Lesson learned? Don't forget the bike headlights at the apartment when going out with the bikes!
Hmm... so what else was there that happened this past week? Finding and teaching has been slow, since many of our investigators are college students and since it's now summer vacation/christmas vacation (it's wierd that the two are the same here) many are back in China or are elsewhere in Australia working at farms to make money. The ward mission leader's son turned eight and was baptized last Saturday, that was good. They really feed you here in Australia, the refreshments at the baptism were like a full meal! Let it be known, though, that I have not gained any weight since coming here--in fact, I've lost the 5 pounds or so I gained in the MTC, because a) I eat less and b) I run a mile or so several days a week for morning exercise and I am also biking several times a week as well. So nothing to be worried about there. :)
I think that's all I have. Pretty good, though, for such a short week, right? :) Take care everyone, love you!
Elder Ladd
| in front of the Brisbane Temple |
| FHE - pingpong! |
| lizard! about 15-18inches long! |
No comments:
Post a Comment