Sunday, March 3, 2013

Mar 4 2013

WE HAD A BAPTISM! I've had my first baptism since being here in the field.

The investigator's story:

From China, here to study master's degree in Australia. He first met missionaries almost 2 years ago. At first he wasn't particularly interested, but nevertheless the missionaries did a lot in showing their love for him, the love that following Christ brings to their lives. He dropped in an out of contact a few times because of lack of interest and changing missionaries, as I understand -- I don't know how he was very first contacted. Ironically, he has been a source for referrals in the past, at least one of which I know was baptized. Most recently, he was referred to us by his friend. This time around, the combined efforts of all those other missionaries made him truly desire to find what Christianity was about and eventually become a Christian. My companion and missionary who preceded me began to teach him again, and set a date for last weekend. Then I came in, and Elder Monsen and I simultaneously taught him and helped him with his english -- he is trying to get Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia and so took the "IELTS" test. He's come a long way, his desire and excitement growing slowly but surely.

The baptism:

One of the ward missionaries gave a talk on faith and repentence, and I gave a talk focusing on baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end. I chose to focus my talk on an analogy I made to help him endure to the end: by acquiring a different sort of "P.R." which leads to "permanent residency" in heaven. If he fails to get PR in Australia, that's alright, life will go on -- as long as he makes sure to acquire the other sort of P.R. This other kind of P.R. is Praying and Reading. If he prays and reads the scriptures every day, everything else will come naturally. He quite enjoyed the analogy, everyone thought it was memorable.

Then we had the baptism itself, performed by my companion Elder Monsen. He described his feelings afterward as a "warm wave" in his heart unlike anything he's experienced before. He immediately felt a great calm and comfort (beforehand he was actually quite nervous because he doesn't like water, but that fear left immediately as he was baptized). It was a great experience for all. We had a few testimonies afterwards and had a welcome by the bishop, and then sang hymn #113, "Our Saviour's Love" (my selection, haha).

On Sunday he was confirmed by the Ward Mission Leader, thus completing his baptism and making him the newest member of our ward.

The baptism was defintely the highlight of my week. Everything else was pretty standard, for the most part. Here are the best stories I want to make mention of:

Last P-day in the evening Elder Monsen was going through former investigators, sending text after text. Most simply didn't respond, those who did gave the usual excuses which essentially means their not interested. Then one texted back -- a few minutes later, we had set up a chapel tour the next day. We showed him around and got to know him. He hasn't talked to missionaries for over a year, recieving a text from us really surprised him. He met with missionaries before two or three times but never came to church, because he wasn't really interested at the time, and additionally some of his roommates at the time (he has since moved elsewhere because he didn't like the roommates) scared him away, telling him that he shouldn't meet missionaries or go to church or anything.

We taught him then and there, and he was great. That night he prayed -- the first time in over a year -- and felt the spirit strongly. The next day he came with us to a dinner at a recent convert's house and that was a really good experience too. He's already considering baptism, we do not have a date with him yet but he has been praying about it. I'll let you know what happens in the future.

Another investigator has returned from spending his summer in China -- Elder Monsen knows him and is excited. He has strong faith and wants to be baptized but his situation is that his father wants him to return to China and join the communist party, so we'll see if he'll be able to be baptized or not.

That's about it for the week. We should have two baptisms this weekend I can tell you about next week! Take care!

Elder J. Colton Ladd

No comments:

Post a Comment