Sunday, April 13, 2014

Apr 14 2014

There isn't too much to report this week (Only Fri, Sat, an Sun have passed since I last emailed)... but there is one major item, which was General Conference!

Before I get to that, though---Most of my day on Friday was spent up the Sunshine Coast and in the Brisbane North Zone doing interviews. While President an Sister Henderson interview people, my companion and I would facilitate a short training on 5 suggestions to improve our roleplays. 

  1. ALWAYS practice, then evaluate and repractice. 
  2. In order to do so, we need to have shorter, more focused roleplays (less than 5 minutes, preferably less than 3 minutes) 
  3. "Real" play by always choosing a real person and scenario to focus on and role play. 
  4. Before role-playing, take a minute to choose a specific skill you want to develop. Try to focus it down to even just one or two lines in PMG. 
  5. We role play so we can receive revelation. Above all, listen to and follow the promptings of the Spirit.

We had the opportunity to ride with President and Sister Henderson, so in the hour-long car ride to and from the Interviews, we had great doctrinal discussions on nature of "glory" and on the gift of tongues.

General Conference was very powerful. I felt, overall, the speakers were very bold, specific, direct, and clear, even more than they usually are. In Priesthood Session, for example, all of the speakers (with the exception of President Monson) put their main points succinctly in a list of 3 or 4 points.

Here are a few of my insights during conference:

Saturday morning
President Eyring. During his talk, the line came to me of the hymn "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go." The first line is. "It may not be on the mountain height." It struck me how it says, it may not be on the mountain height. President Eyring stated, "Whoever you are and wherever you may be, you hold in your hands the happiness of more people than you can now imagine."

Saturday Afternoon
Elder Zwick. Sometimes, we all have perfectly justified reason for reproving others! But doing so in words of anger and blame, no matter how justified, still is not Christlike. Understand the positions of others before you act.

Priesthood Session
Elder Hallstrom. All men, regardless of who they are, ought to be (and can be) like the savior.

Sunday Morning Session.
Connecting President Uchtdorf's talk to Elder Bednars talk --- We are to be grateful in all things -- not just forblessings or in happiness. Elder Bednar explained how burdens are just blessings in disguise, and why we should be grateful for them too.

Overall, I would have to say that President Eyring's talk on heroes during the Priesthood session was my favorite.

I had many other favorite talks --- these are just my "insights." I know I have, in the past, focused on mentioning my favorite talks, but today I felt impressed to focus on my insights. I invite all of you to watch the talks yourselves and record your own insights! I would love to learn about them via email as well. Have a great week!

Elder J. Colton Ladd

No comments:

Post a Comment