Monday, March 17, 2014

Mar 16/17

Continuing on from my last email ...

Going back to Mudgeeraba: On Friday we spent some time GQing and taught three lessons; one at the nearby library, and two by the local university, Bond University. The area we GQed has been heavily GQed recently, and most people said they had talked to the missionaries previously.

On Saturday I had the opportunity to meet with the Stake President to discuss issues particular to the Chinese missionaries and the universities. We went tracting on a street where there was 5 to 10 houses with Chinese (almost all from Hong Kong), that was a great opportunity to teach the missionaries some new skills (Chinese missionaries don't generally tract often). Saturday night I was picked up by my companions once again and returned to Brisbane.

My trip in the Gold Coast taught me a lot. I saw an area I had never before seen and learned about the missionary work there --- the GQing locations (Southport, Surfer's Paradise, and Griffith University). I also got to meet and work with the missionaries there, 3 of which I have never served around before. They were all great. The highlights were the miracles which we saw there, especially on Tuesday.

On Sunday, we had a baptism!!! Here is the investigator's story.

Background: He is the younger brother of our recent convert we baptized in January. Even before she was baptized, however, he came and visited for about two weeks, and during this time attended church once or twice. However, he lives in Quilpie, a small town of population 500 or so, and the "big city" life isn't his forte. He left back for Quilpie, but we maintained contact with him, especially through his sister, the recent convert. When we heard news that he wanted to come back to Brisbane just so he could be baptized, we were really excited. We taught him regularly over the phone for a week or two before he arrived, and he was baptized about a week and a half later.

The baptism was held on Sunday after church, which seemed very positive (the first time I've had a baptism on Sunday on my mission, as far as I can recall). A lot of members stayed after church to participate. He was confirmed immediately after the baptism as well, because he needs to return to Quilpie in a few days. Ourselves and the members here will continue to contact him in Quilpie, however, and we will also look in to getting him hometeachers (the closest active members to Quilpie live about 3 hours away).

This week marks the initiation of Transfer Deliberations. As I finish writing this, we have finished our first day, which has gone really well. More to come in my next (probably shorter) email, which will be on Friday. Take care everyone!

Elder J. Colton Ladd

No comments:

Post a Comment