Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Oct 2 2012

The new elders are in! It's pretty weird--even though they have less than half the amount of elders as our generation has, they have just as many (if not more) districts. There is one district which is just one tri-companionship, that's all. Another has just a pair of companionships I believe. Compare this to the districts of our generation, where there are at least ten elders or sisters in each district. Including ours--this past week we lost another elder from our district, unfortunately, Elder W. He, like Elder H, is returning home for a time to get things in order. I suppose that makes H and W companions now, or at least Skype companions to continue practicing Chinese, haha. Elder W left on Friday as I recall, he assured us that he will return, I certainly hope and pray that he does. Elders F and S are now companions (this means F has now lost two companions, come to think of it).

Since next week is General Conference, and we won't have our normal zone and district meetings, the Branch Presidency announced all the new zone and district leaders this Sunday, although they won't actually become the new leaders until next week. Our next district leader will be Elder F2.

In TRC last Saturday, Elder R and I had the opportunity to teach an investigator! It was Elder R's former roommate from BYU, a student from China. Elder R had talked to the TRC organizing-people the week before about inviting his roommate to come and volunteer (his roommate has been meeting with the missionaries since the school year), and this week he came so Elder R and I talked to the people again to make sure we had the chance to teach him. It was the first time we did one 40-minute lesson instead of two 20-minute lessons, it will continue like this from here on out. So anyway, the lesson with Elder R's friend was very informative, I had the chance to listen to some real questions and concerns. We also had an RM with us, who speaks Chinese (he has been sitting on all the other lessons Elder R's friend has been taking as well, because it's been English missionaries he's been meeting with--Elder R's friend's English is good, but the RM is able to help in case he doesn't understand a word). For a lot of the time, it was just the RM and the investigator talking, since Elder R's and my Chinese isn't anywhere close to theirs. However, I was still able to follow along for the most part, that was good. I look forward to being able to speak Chinese more fluently, little by little.

On a somewhat related note (to the Chinese I mean), the Mormon.org website in Chinese has a couple of Chinese "I'm a Mormon" videos (well actually they say I'm a Latter-Day Saint which is good, because I guess in Asian countries they don't already have preconcieved notions about "mormons" so saying Latter-Day Saint is just as meaningful). There used to be five in Mandarin and five in Cantonese, although last time I checked (which was yesterday) only four of the Mandarin ones were there. It's cool because I can watch those videos and pick out some of what is being discussed. I think after my mission it would be cool to learn Cantonese too, as I understand the only difference (large though it may be) between the two languages is the pronounciations, they share the same written language so I assume the same grammar.

Here's a funny story from the week: turns out a member of our district is actually in the video for the 2011 Mutual Theme (the one Gabby sang in), and he had no clue! It's Elder F3--a lot of the footage, in fact, is from his ward in Florida. He appears for a split second playing the viola, if you blink you could miss him. Elder W discovered it by chance, it's hilarious. We have a star in our midst!

Among other news, my companion Elder R, starting yesterday, is trying to go without speaking English. Period. He's let slip a few words here or there on accident, but for the most part he's done exactly that. He's probably the best in our district at SYLing.

Last in terms of news from the week is Sunday--it was my second (and last) fast sunday here at the MTC. A fast sunday, which we usually hold on the first Sunday of every month (but since General Conference is next week, we have it early) is when we fast for 2 meals. We hold a fast-and-testimony meeting instead of our normal Sacrament meeting, which means that instead of having specific members of the congregation prepare and give talks as asked, the meeting is open to all to come up and share their testimonies. We still partake of the sacrament as usual, of course. Here at the MTC on fast sundays we also have another change in our schedule, we have a "Mission conference" (just a meeting where the whole MTC gathers to listen to the MTC president and counselors). It was good.

That's all I can think of. Till next week! It's strange to think that I'll be out of the MTC in less than the month, the end doesn't *feel* any closer than it did on day 1. I just hope to have my Chinese improved enough by that time. Wish me luck!

Elder Ladd

[editor's note: I've quit editing.  I used to fix his capitalization and punctuation, but decided not to worry about it any more.  He's on his own.  I still correct spelling, though, but only when I notice it ;-) ]

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed that missionaries apparently forget how to spell and use proper grammer once they go on their missions. Probably because they have so little time and don't speak English most of the time... Either way, I find it rather funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we know Elder Fabiano's family. He used to live in the Peachtree Corners Ward in the Roswell Stake, before they moved to Florida. Small world!

    Keep up the blogging! I love to read what missionaries are up to all over the world. Good luck Elder Ladd!

    ReplyDelete